Sunday, April 6, 2008

Report: Waffle Conference Extraveganza - East Coast Edition

Well, I'm excited to hear that the Waffles live on! We had an excellent showing, filling nearly ever chair, lov sac (we have 2), couch and floor spot on two floors here at Casa Crothers . . .Est. waffle attendance was probably in the 40+ range...always hard to get a count.

So, I'll share a few of my random thoughts from the day (with varying levels of spiritual import).

1) Much of the morning waffle-gluttony also involved mass attempts at ear wiggling and other silly human tricks. Ah, Pres. Monson's influence is already sinking in deep.

2) I generally spend most of the sunday morning session in the kitchen cleaning up post breakfast. For me, i like to listen to conference while i'm doing something. It actually helps me focus more. I'm not sure why, but i am finding that the older I get, the less I can sit still esp. at church. I think i need to invest in some reverence books and maybe a small box of crayons to help my focus. Clive, any suggestions from the trenches? (Small pet peeve: Invariably, several friends come find me and try and get me to leave the cleaning until after the session. While their intentions are pure, I wish they would just let me clean my wafflemakers in peace so I can focus on the speaker. . .)

3) Prophetic Mantel: It's such an intreguing experience. While I remember previous changing of the gards when President Kimball and Pres. Hunter died, I have no recollection of the transitions or the first conferences of a new prophet. Like David, I can't say that I had an instant testimony of Pres. Monson as the prophet...Not that I did not acknowledge and sustain him from day one. But, when i hear the words "the Prophet," it was still Pres. Hinckley's face that came to mind. Accordingly, I really anticipated hearing Pres. Monson speak and wondering how I would feel. As he spoke, though, i found myself transfixed by the STYLE of his remarks. Interestingly, it was my intellectual rhetorical/liguistic/literary brain in full analytic mode that first tuned into the dramatic change that seems woven into his words. As my mind pondered and toyed with those ideas, my heart acknowledge that the change in discorse did in fact seem to be a harmonic ring of the prophetic mantel that had clearly rested on his shoulders over the past few weeks. He is no longer just the Elder Tomas S. Monson we have all enjoyed hearing tell stories...he is the Lord's chosen mouthpiece and the Prophet of the Lord as Elder Holland so eloquently noted.

4) Conference is just cool... the speakers are always so great and so perfectly attuned to our individual and collective needs. This weekend I learned that one close friend lost her job, another lost her father, another's father was in a serious accident (he is currently in a drug-induced coma in a burn unit in very critical condition), an old roommate had skin graph surgery (she fainted in the shower last week, hit the hot water on her way down and awoke to sever burns on her legs and chest), my boss's father is in the hospital dying after prolonged illness, and a handful of more minor trama's in the lives of my close friends (so many of whom are like family to me). As I listed to conference, I was touched not only by remarks that seemed to address my individual needs and decisions at this time, but at how often statements seemed to address the needs of those I love.... If nothing more, I am grateful that they have had the opportunity to recieve comfort as they face the intense challenges of mortality.

5) Uchdorf is freakin AWESOME. I am nominating his as the most dashing/good-looking GA by far (watch out George Clooney!). Plus, his accent just makes me happy. I particularly enjoyed listening to him pronounce the names of newly called and released GAs with latin names.... nothin like spanish words and german accents. Do you think its disrespectful to refer to him as the Apostlenator? Cuz, really, he rocks!

6) Pres. Monson and Elder Ballard's talks about their wives were touching. They also reminded me how lucky we are to have a dad that can be allowed to roam free in the kitchen without fear of breaking anything or worse. Daddy, you're pretty good at the lifting, bending and twisting stuff (as is mommita, of course).... Yay, daddy.

K K.... LOVE YOU ALL!

And, i think it would be cool if the REST OF YOU posted a brief conference update of your own....adam, eric, dad, mom, tina, anita...yes, i'm talking to YOU! ;-)

1 comment:

mindy said...

well I guess you don't want to hear my thoughts on conference. ::sniff::

Elder Uchtdorf is my fave apostle now, too. Sooooo handsome! ::swoon:: His accent is just right, methinks. Strong enough to notice, but not strong enough (like The Arnold) to make him difficult to understand. I hope he conducts half of all future Conference sessions. :o) Oh, and his birthday is my half-birthday. Maybe I'm supah cool like him by association.